Friday, June 7, 2013

to speak or not to speak?

Oh my, my, my... There are several things I could write about today. Much has happened that there are a few really important topics I could address. The one that is newest on my mind is eating at me the most though. 
This can be a very touchy subject for someone in my position... I would like to address the topic of older women and what they talk and tell younger women. Since I haven't been married for a long duration, nor am I an older aged woman, nor am I filled with tons of wisdom, but I do feel I can address just this particular subject...bare with me you older, wiser women-- if I am out of line or off, please correct me!
Titus 2 explains what our role is as wives and mother, "that they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." (Titus 2: 3-5). I love this scripture, it's the scripture of my life right now because this is the area of my life I am in. It is something I will continue to learn and build towards until I pass away to be with the Father. I pray I will do my duty as a mother to love my children and teach them ways of God as I should.. 
So, I just recently was told of an event, an ongoing event in someone's life, an unfortunate, hard, un-Godly event... It something this person has to over come with the help of God. When I talked to his wife I recommended a book to her to read because it addressed this particular topic. Now obviously not everyone is going to agree with everything someone says, I don't even agree with everything in the book, but the book has changed my life tremendously, for the better! It's up lifting and God glorifying! It's challenging. It's a life changing book because it reflects the Word of God. I had given her this book for a wedding gift-- sadly, she informed me that an older woman, whom she trusts completely, discouraged her to not read the book at all... I was crushed, not personally, but for her and her lack of unwillingness; because some woman who didn't agree with something entirely discouraged a young woman from reading something that could have really helped her in this situation. This book was completely dedicated to God and spoke the truth on so many topics, pages and pages of scripture and commentary affirming the Word of God. 
I want to encourage any woman, before giving advise and handing over wisdom that you be sure that it is sound and biblical and not personal. Don't discourage young women from read, listening or hearing anything over something personal and petty. I know I am so quick to criticize and give advise on topics often and sometimes wished I had held my tongue. We all have our personal likes and dislikes but we NEED to remember to have grace for one another and think about what we advise someone on-- really question our motives and reasoning and ask ourselves: is this biblical? Is this God's Truth? Am I over critical of people and beliefs? Is this a personal distastefulness or a Godly one?... 
We can either uplift, encourage and help one another or we can smother, discourage and lead one another astray. Let's work on thinking before we speak on topics so important to life, marriage and Truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment